April General Meeting Minutes
12 April 2023
Held at Menangle Country Club
The meeting was opened at 6.30pm
Welcome & President’s Report – Anne Parnham, President
Anne welcomed everyone to the meeting, and asked that if you haven’t yet introduced yourself, please do so throughout the meeting.
She also welcomed guests, the evenings guest speaker Greg Van Borssum of GVB Mind Warriors, and the Chambers Sponsors.
She updated the meeting on what’s been happening:
- Looking at the structure and roles and responsibilities of The Executive Board and their commitments.
- The Greater Narellan Business Chamber is a not for profit organisation made up entirely of volunteers giving their time during and out of working hours to enable the Chamber to continue. There isn’t anyone standing to gain financially from being on the Board and as President, Anne takes the conflict of interest part of the Constitution very seriously. She invited the members of the Board that were present stand up. She asked that if any members have any questions please don’t hesitate to speak to them. She also informed members that all the Board members pay for their tickets to all these events held by the Chamber.
- The Board has chosen to do things a bit differently in that the Secretary report is on the website and won’t be presented at meetings. And the financial report will be available on the tables – if you have any questions please refer them to the Treasurer Karina Rauch.
- NSW has a new State Government and the Camden LGA is now all Labor including the new Leppington electorate. That means that the entire Macarthur area is Labor so it makes the Chambers job a bit easier communicating with the MP’s. Every year in August The Greater Narellan Business Chamber hosts the Premier’s Breakfast. Everything has been booked to do this again this year, however, Ingleburn Chamber has made contact as they want to do their own event. Anne thinks all the Macarthur Chambers of Commerce should be getting together to have a louder voice to get more money in this area. Over the last 10 years or so, so much money has been spent in the Parramatta and Penrith areas so now it’s the Macarthur’s turn. Stay tuned to hear what is happening as Anne is getting in touch with all the Macarthur MP’s to book the August breakfast but so far the Premier has not done his diary.
- There are so many fantastic events coming up over the next few months and remember that by spending your money with these organizations in most cases they are a tax deduction but check with your accountants.
- Australia didn’t have another rate rise but keep an eye on your figures at your business and make sure you are monitoring your overheads and expenditure because it is expected to get tight in August/September.
- Fantastic feedback was received from last months meeting from members and it really does help to know that the Board are on the right path. Mostly the request for speakers was for business or finance speakers and so many people loved the new format for networking at these meeting, so thankyou for participating in that feedback.
- The Chambers sponsor packages will be released very soon and a big thank you to those who have stayed with the Chamber during the difficult times of Covid and the after affects. If you would like to know more about being part of our sponsors please speak to Kelly Stanford, Sponsorship Director.
- Anne asks that if there is any feedback please contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Chamber thanked Josephine Byrnes-Luna for her time as Vice President with a gift presentation.
Wendy White introduced the 2 winners of the recent Rotary Clubs of Macarthur First Responders Awards – Daniel Austin of Fire & Rescue NSW (Paid) and Stephen Urquhart of NSW Rural Fire Service (Volunteer).
Tony & Cathy Perich
Matt Hill – Club Menangle
Bruce Christison – Club Menangle
Taylor Nasmyth – Coutts Solicitors & Conveyancers
David Johnston – Finance 4 Growth
Rachel Elliott – Landsdowne Property Group
Roland Blackstone – Marsdens Law Group
Brianna Ellul – Youth Solutions
Membership Update – Sandra Bartlett, Membership Director
New member introductions:
- Austin Buyers Agents
- Backam Group
- Connect Pathway
- Number Solutions Accounting
- The Alternative Board Macarthur
- Varroview Homes Pty Ltd
Member Spotlight Draw for May
- Steve Auld of Wakeling Automotive
Member Facebook Draw:
- Rob Elliott of Landsdowne Property Group
Member Shout Outs
- Rowan Gregson of PestGo acknowledged Kurt from Mainspec Plumbing
- Sandra Bartlett of Stairway 2 Dreams acknowledged Alesha of WOW Studio
- Amy Woodley of Start Fresh Accounting acknowledge Rowan Gregson of PestGo
Sponsorship Update – Kelly Stanford, Sponsorship Director
Silver Sponsor presentation Office Builders
Bronze Sponsor presentation Coleman Greig Lawyers
Macarthur Lady Funerals
What’s On – Carla Upfill, Meeting Director
- The future of the Warwick Farm Racing Precinct on 14 April
- The WSI Airport Safety Innovation Show on 21 April
- Anzac Day on 25 April at Camden RSL from 5am
- Salvation Army Red Shield Appeal Macarthur Lunch on 5 May at Lakeside Golf Club
- Odyssey House Business Women’s Lunch on 5 May
- Youth Solutions Movie Night on 11 May at Events Cinemas Campbelltown
- Kids of Macarthur Health Foundation Corporate Golf Day on 12 May
- 13th World Chambers Congress on 21-23 June
- Youth Solutions Denim and Diamonds 2023 Charity Event on 22 July
At the commencement of the networking break all tables were asked to volunteer a speaker, the speaker then gathered brief information of who was at their table and their business and introductions were done throughout the room.
Carla introduced Greg Van Borssum of GVB Mind Warriors who spoke about Remastermind “Master your mindset, remaster your life”
- Grandma’s lessons
- Finding the gym
- Dad’s lessons
- Listen to your mother’s advice
- Champions mindset to warriors mind
- Deep end learning – Just say yes, Rebuilding
- Negative mindset
- Knowing the signs – withdrawn, dishevelled, hopelessness, negative talk, negative self talk, late to work, increased sick days, giving things away, suddenly happy, look at the eyes
- Turn your phones off and your minds on
- Start your day with inspiration
- Passion through pragmatism
- Keep going until …
- How else can I make it?
- Have neutral thinking
- Just say yes!
- Go towards your fears!
- What can I still do? Midlife is now 40 years
- Keep a journal – if you can write it down you can break it down
- Coming back
- Anne Parnham asked about the scene filming in Mad Max Fury Road.
- Goodness Emerokam of Marvel Care Australia asked how do you get past the fear of failure
- Take the lesson out of the loss. How much would you do if you knew it would work.
- Geoff Neville of Deed Consulting talked about think grateful not neutral”.
- Stack up the gratitude.
Lucky Door Prize
The Office Builders prize was won by Anthony Luna
The Coleman Greig Lawyers prize was won by Rob Elliott of Landsdowne Property Group
Closing Remarks – Anne Parnham
Anne thanked everyone for attending and to travel home safely.
The next general meeting will be on May 10th at Wests Lakeside Golf Club with guest speaker Kirk Duncan.
There being no further business, the meeting was closed at 8.30pm.