April General Meeting Minutes
10 April 2019
Held at Rydges Campbelltown
The meeting was opened at 6.38pm.
1 Welcome – Shaun Pereira, President
Shaun welcomed everyone to the April meeting – life members, Chamber members, guests and acknowledged and thanked guest speaker, Ryan Felsman.
Elisha Crismale of Evoke Visual Creations
Wade Thomas of Marsdens Law Group
3 Board Introductions
Shaun introduced the current Board members present – Pania Gregson (VP General), Jean Galloway (Secretary), Amy Woodley (Treasurer), Renee Garcia (Membership Director), Kaisha Gambell (Marketing Director), Leanne Wolf (Events Director), and Sue Robinson (Sponsorship Director).
Shaun invited members and guests to introduce themselves to the Board members and raise with them any suggestions or concerns.
4 President’s Report
- Congratulations on having 150 people booked in for tonight’s dinner meeting.
- Feedback from recent meetings has been received, heard and used to make the meetings better.
- Hope everyone is enjoying the high calibre of speakers and segments that are being co-ordinated.
- Congratulations to Cr Peter Sidgreaves on his recent election to the NSW State Seat of Camden. Also, congratulations to the other candidates for a great effort.
- Best wishes to Sue and Trevor Robinson from The Strictly Limited Company on celebrating their 31st wedding anniversary.
- Christmas in Narellan – Ian Wolf is the Chairman this year and they’ve had their first meeting. Also, on board again this year is Amanda Good of Good Events who is the Event Manager.
5 Secretary’s Report – Jean Galloway, Secretary
Jean advised the Minutes from 13 March 2019 were on the website and were moved by Amy Woodley, seconded by Renee Garcia and accepted. No business arising from those Minutes.
6 Treasurer’s Report – Amy Woodley, Treasurer
Amy presented the Treasurer’s Report as at 31 March 2019. Total held in the bank is $115,605. Net Profit to 31 Mar 19 is $14,753. The report was moved by Jean Galloway and seconded by Ian Wolf and accepted.
7 Membership Update – Renee Garcia, Membership Co-ordinator
Renee advised there are currently 186 financial members.
A lot of renewals are coming up in the next couple of months so please when the reminders come out, make sure they get paid to keep your membership current.
Member’s spotlight videos were shown by Mitronics, Fitzpatrick Group and Palazzolo & Associate Lawyers.
Member spotlights for the May meeting are Camden Valley Motors, Reid Legal and LJ Hooker Commercial Macarthur.
Members Facebook promo draw – Gregory Hills Hotel.
8 Business Tip – Colin Grimes
Following the impact of the recent Royal Commission into the finance industry.
- If looking to lend in next 6 months then spend conservatively as the banks are looking at all discretionary spending ie Netflix, take away, etc.
- Fairly insulated out this way due to us getting rail, roads and aerotropolis, etc.
- Lots of low doc lenders.
- Speak to your broker first before committing to buy – and give them as much notice as possible.
- Ensure your taxes and financials are in order.
- Reviewing accounting – financials looks professional.
9 What’s On – Jean Galloway
Jean advised the following upcoming events:
- OCAGI Burto’s Memorial Bike & Car Ride – Sunday, 14th April 2019
- Campbelltown Chamber April Meeting – Wednesday, 17th April 2019
- The Macarthur Combined Business Charity Golf Day – Thursday 2nd May 2019
@ Lakeside Golf Club, Camden
- TGNBC – May Meeting – Through Our Farmers Eyes – Wednesday, 8th May 2019
- South West Sydney BEC – Workshops
- Expert Business Panel @ Campbelltown – Monday, 13th May 2019
- Stand Out on Social Media Bootcamp – Thursday, 23rd May 2019
- Youth Solutions
- Ladies Movie Night 2019 – Monday, 13th May 2019
- The Land of Make Believe Annual Charity Event – Saturday, 27th July 2019
- Camden Region Economic Taskforce – Small business training survey
10 Local Update – Shaun Pereira
Mark Perich from the Perich Group and Greenfields provided an update on the Oran Park Town.
- Oran Park closest business centre to the Aerotropolis and also within (farming land)
- 2-3 stops on the train from the Airport
- 2026 Airport to be open and rail prior
- First A-grade commercial and apartments now through Council
- 1500 primary school children at Oran Park now
- Building a High School and expanding the Primary School in 2020
- Stage 2 of The Podium opening in 2021
- Youth and Skate Park
- Thompson Healthcare
- Oran Park Hotel – 3 storeys with hospitality
- Splash Park
- Employment land
- For further information visit http://www.oranparktown.com.au/
11 Sponsorship Update – Sue Robinson, Sponsorship Director
Sue thanked the Commonwealth Bank for assisting to bring tonight’s main speaker out and also for the money boxes and chocolates on the tables.
Sue introduced the 2 Silver Sponsors for their presentations:
- Simone Homes; and
- Reid Legal.
12 Guest Speaker – Ryan Felsman
Economy 2019: Climbing a wall of worry
- Global growth loses momentum
- Low unemployment
- Wages lift, but inflation is low
- “Dovish” central banks
- Geo-political risks
- Chinese economy slows
- Record run over for Australia
- Financial market volatility
Global growth: Synchronised slowdown
US: Solid economy, but debt and deficit clouds
China: Slowing growth, but more sustainable path?
China drives Australia
Australia: Record breaker, but will it last?
Camden: More businesses and jobs
Camden/NSW: Strong jobs growth, real wages lift
Australia: Cautious consumer
Sydney/Narellan: Home prices fall
Australia: Tighter lending standards, debt elevated
Australia: Infrastructure & population booms
Budget 2019: Overview
Budget 2019: Major measures
Bonds: Rallying to record lows
Shares: Strong start to 2019, but mixed earnings
Question & Answer
- Sam Por of Community
First Credit Union
GFC and Global debt – are they related
- Damian Bleeker of South
West Property Inspections
What industry will be the hardest hit with the trade wars
Shaun and Leanne presented Ryan with a thank you gift.
13 Lucky Door Prizes
Donated and won by:
CBA Renee of CRG Plumbing & Maintenance Pty ltd
Simone Homes Rolf of Fox Coaching
Reid Legal Shona of Aceit Work Sport Promo
14 Closing Remarks – Shaun Pereira
The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, 8 May 2019 at Harrington Grove Country Club and its panel interview of local farmers “Through Our Farmers Eyes” with Tony Biffin, John Fairley, Brett Hayter & Ed Biel. Panel interviewer for the evening will be Ian Wolf. Book Early. Arrival from 6.00pm for a 6.30pm start.
Shaun thanked Leanne Wolf, the Executive Team and Rydges for a great meeting night and all their work to make it happen. He also thanked everyone in attendance for attending another great meeting.
There being no further business, the meeting was closed at 8.57pm