November General Meeting Minutes
11 November 2020
Held at “The Woodlands” Harrington Grove
The meeting was opened at 6.39pm.
Welcome – Steve Moore, Vice President
Steve acknowledged that this was NAIDOC week. He welcomed everyone to the meeting. Steve acknowledged and welcomed Life Members Tony Perich AM, Ian Wolf, and Adriana Care, the evening’s guest speaker Melinda Cruz and our members and their guests.
Remembrance Day was respected with a moments silence.
Steve reminded everyone to be COVID safe during the meeting and that the Chamber has a COVID Safe Plan.
Sandy Bartlett – Membership Co-ordinator (Stairway 2 Dreams)
Matthew Cox – Macarthur Energy
President’s Report – Shaun Pereira, President
- Thank you to all the Chamber members for their support during 2020 – what an interesting year it’s been.
- The Christmas Party is coming up in December at Menangle Country Club – looking forward to celebrating with everyone to end 2020.
- Remember this Christmas shopping time – when buying, buy local.
- Adriana Care is hosting and supporting a charity event race night at Club Menangle in support of Upstairs at Fred’s following the recent fire – details to follow in the What’s On report.
Secretary’s Report – Carla Upfill, Secretary
Carla advised the Minutes from 14 October 2020 were on the website and were moved by Sue Robinson, seconded by Damian Bleeker and accepted. No business was arising from those Minutes.
Treasurer’s Report – Karina Rauch, Treasurer
Karina presented the Treasurers Report as at 31 October 2020. Income for October was $7747, Expenses were $12,727, current net loss for the month is ($4,980) and net loss year to date is ($7,346). Current total assets of the Chamber are $87,000. The report was moved by Pania Gregson, seconded by Shaun Pereira and accepted.
Membership Update – Wendy White, Administration Assistant
Current membership is 182 financial members, with 30 renewals outstanding.
Of this are 3 New members – Marvel Realty, Nepean Engineering & Innovation, and Phillip J Wardley Pty Ltd.
Member Spotlight for November was George Gatt of The Office Builders. George was interview by Wendy and spoke about living in the Macarthur for over 22 years, what it is exactly The Office Builders do, moving to their new offices and showroom in TRN House Oran Park and thank you to the Chamber members for support.
Member Spotlight promo draw for February 2021 meeting – Trevor Robinson of The Strictly Limited Company.
Members Facebook promo draw – Ian Wolf of Tony Wolf & Son Quality Printers.
Business Tip – Neil Loomes of Imageology
Neil informed the Chamber members about how great corporate headshots can work for you:
- Essential in portraying a good image of you and your business
- Lead Up – nutrition, hydrate and moisturise, no extreme beauty treatments, avoid sunbathing, no partying or heavy nights
- Your Look – think about your best side, discuss with photographer, work out where your image will appear on a page and look into the page
- Your Smile – how your feel most comfortable, look natural, think of something that makes you laugh
- What to Wear – Men go for darker plain clothes and women for classic professional with subtle jewellery, don’t wear bold distracting patterns or colours, if you have a company uniform wear it
- Posture – open and inviting body gestures, avoid crossed arms and slouching
- Hair and makeup – men get a haircut 4-5 days before, shave early in the day, ladies light and natural makeup, lip balm and lip gloss, avoid hair frizz
What’s On – Steve Moore
Steve advised the following upcoming events:
- Markets at Lakeside happening on Sunday, 15 November 10am-4pm
- Campbelltown Chamber of Commerce next meeting on Friday, 20 November from 6.00pm at Wests Leagues Club Leumeah with Wayne Pearce as guest speaker on Leading High-Performance Teams
- Macarthur Tourism, Travel & Events College has a barista course in November
- Lifeline Macarthur are after Gift Wrapping Volunteers – register your interest at the Narellan Town Centre gift wrapping station
- Narellan Chamber December Christmas Party is on Wednesday, 9 December from 6pm at Menangle Country Club
- Youth Solutions ChariTea is on Friday, 19 February 2021 – save the date
- Youth Solutions 2021 Charity Golf Day on Friday, 19 March – save the date
- At Night at the Races for Steve & Mandy (Upstairs at Freds) on 28 November from 5.30pm – to book email@example.com
Local Update – nbnTM Camden Region Update – Brett McCallum, National Manager for Business Growth
- Initial build complete
- $4.5b network investment plan
- $3.5b fixed-line network investments
- $700m Business Fibre Zone investment
- $50m Business Fibre community investment fund
- Business Fibre Initiative
Sponsorship Update – Sue Robinson, Sponsorship Co-ordinator
Sue presented a video montage of the Chambers Sponsors
BDC Scholarship Winners
- Nicole Cusack of Nictricious
4 years part time (work full time as well), thank you to the Chamber for the Scholarships, have enjoyed, Geoff Ellis is a wealth of knowledge and appreciated the support of the other recipients.
Steve Moore introduced the evenings guest speaker – Melinda Cruz founder of Miracle Babies Foundation.
- Create and contribute
- Small and local to national
- Going Global – Board, Awards, transition out of CEO after 10 years
- Its not what you do, but how you feel
- Collaborate and collaborate early
- Follow your guy and say yes to opportunities
- Not everyone is going to like your decisions
- Focus on what you do and do it well
- Don’t Ask Don’t Get
- Share the downs with your team
- Be okay with not getting to all of it
- Get comfortable with being the face
- Have fun … first
Kym of Kelly Partners – What piece of advice to push a charity
- Encouragement, don’t reinvent the wheel – if it exists support it, get clear on what you want to achieve, be prepared for the workload
Tony of Value Selling Academy – How did your husband go through everything
- Currently lobbying the Governments for premature Dad’s to be considered for extended leave, a major focus on their work, peer to peer support is major
Warren Morrison – thank you for what you do
Pania of PestGo – Find and selecting the Board
- Getting Morris Iemma made a difference, he had connections.
Leanne and Steve thanked Melinda and presented her with a gift.
Lucky Door Prize
Bottle of Wine won by Kate Carter of AEI Commercial Insurance Brokers
2 tickets to the Christmas Party won by George Gatt of The Office Builders
Closing Remarks – Steve Moore
Steve thanked everyone attending and supporting the meeting and for being COVID safe. Thank you to the Board for all their support.
See you all on December 9th at Menangle Country Club.
There being no further business, the meeting was closed at 8.45pm.